Vin Diesel has been cleared of legal claims brought by a former assistant who accused him of sexual battery.
The ruling came on Wednesday in a Los Angeles court, ending a case that has shadowed the Fast & Furious star for the past two years.
Allegations Stem from 2010 Atlanta Incident
The lawsuit centered on allegations by Asta Jonasson, who claimed that Diesel forcibly assaulted her in his St. Regis hotel suite in Atlanta during the filming of Fast Five in 2010.
Diesel, now 58, has consistently denied the accusations.
Matthew Hale, Jonasson’s attorney, told Deadline that the court’s decision “did not decide anything about the truth of Ms. Jonasson’s allegations.”
Hale added that the ruling was based on a legal technicality and that Jonasson intends to appeal.
Court Rules Location Is Key Factor
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Daniel M. Crowley issued a 13-page summary judgment, emphasizing the location of the alleged assault rather than the facts of the claim itself.
According to the judge, the incident took place in Atlanta, Georgia, and California law does not apply extraterritorially unless specifically stated.
Diesel’s Team Responds
Diesel’s attorney, Bryan Freedman, told Deadline on Wednesday: “We are grateful that the court put an end to this meritless lawsuit.
We are pleased that this matter has been resolved entirely.”
Freedman previously described the claims as “outlandish” and noted that Diesel only learned of the allegations more than 13 years after the fact.
Details of the Alleged Incident
In her lawsuit, Jonasson alleged that she was assisting Diesel at the St. Regis while he entertained other women.
She claimed that after the last guest left, she was instructed to escort Diesel out to avoid paparazzi.
According to her filings, Diesel allegedly grabbed and groped her, lifted her dress, tried to pull down her underwear, and engaged in sexual acts.
She said she kept her eyes closed to dissociate and described being fired hours later by Diesel’s sister, Samantha Vincent.
Jonasson attributed her firing to resisting Diesel during the alleged assault and said she initially remained silent due to his power in Hollywood and her green card status.
Legal Basis for the Lawsuit
Jonasson filed suit under California’s Speak Out Act, which allows victims of sexual assault to pursue claims for incidents dating back to 2009.
She sued Diesel, his sister, and One Race Films for sexual battery, wrongful termination, and hostile work environment.
Diesel’s Career and Personal Life
Vin Diesel, born Mark Sinclair, is best known for his role as Dominic Toretto in the Fast & Furious franchise.
He has been with partner Paloma Jiménez since 2007, and the couple shares three children: Hania, Vincent, and Pauline.
Share on Facebook «||» Share on Twitter «||» Share on Reddit «||» Share on LinkedIn»TDPel Media News« »For Breaking News«| »For Featured«| »For Biographies« »For Lifestyle« »For Lottery« »For Fashion« »For Politics« »For Business« »For Entertainment« »For Wellness and Fitness« »For Religion« »For Science« »For Sports« »For Technology« »For Health« »For TDPelTV« »For World News« »TDPel Media News« »For TDPel Community« »TDPel Media News« »For Breaking News«| »For Featured«| »For Biographies« »For Lifestyle« »For Lottery« »For Fashion« »For Politics« »For Business« »For Entertainment« »For Wellness and Fitness« »For Religion« »For Science« »For Sports« »For Technology« »For Health« »For TDPelTV« »For World News« »TDPel Media News« »For TDPel Community«